There is a direct cause and effect between our everyday actions and high blood pressure. Natural cures for high blood pressure consist mainly of changing our diets and eliminating bad lifestyle habits.
If your blood pressure is beyond a certain level, you may not be able to decrease it without the aid of prescriptions drugs. Otherwise, the following natural cures for high blood pressure can be very effective. However, if your doctor has you on hypertension drugs, do not stop taking them without his ok. Also, you should let him know that you want to try natural means of lowering and curing your blood pressure. Work with your doctor, not against him.
1) The first natural cure for high blood pressure is to quit smoking. In learning how to lower high blood pressure sensibly, getting rid of bad habits is as important as adopting good habits. Smoking narrows the blood arteries and capillaries and increases blood pressure. Some studies show that this can be reversed after a long period of non-smoking.
2) Lose weight. It has been proven than systolic and diastolic blood pressure is linked to your body mass index. The more overweight you are the greater the chance that you will develop high blood pressure. Although, hard to do, decreasing your weight can help to cure your high blood pressure. A good way to start this process is to make an appointment with a registered dietician who can not only help you with your diet but can also teach you what minerals help with high blood pressure. Many doctors have a dietician that they can refer their patients to and some insurance companies will even cover the visit when it is geared towards a diagnosis.
3) Limit alcohol consumption. Hypertension treatment guidelines recommend limiting the amount of alcohol that you drink. In moderation (two or less drinks per day), drinking can be beneficial to the body. However, excessive alcohol consumption is not only bad for you liver, it raises your blood pressure.
4) Eat more fruits and vegetables. From a purely dietary standpoint, fruits and vegetables are some of the most well known natural cures for high blood pressure. Especially beneficial in helping to lower high blood pressure are fruits and vegetables that are high in potassium. These include sweet potatoes, bananas, oranges, cantaloupe, watermelon, and so on. Searching for little known herbs that lower blood pressure can be productive also as long at you ensure that they don't interfere with any medications that you may be taking.
5) Potassium is a natural cure for high blood pressure. Research revolving around potassium and high blood pressure clearly show that it is essential to good health. In fact, one of potassium's primary functions is to regulate blood pressure. If you can increase your potassium intake to 2500 a day or more, eating natural foods, you will likely see a drop in your blood pressure.
6) Limit your salt intake. One way of doing this is to replace your use of salt with a salt substitute such as potassium chloride. You will likely have to adjust to the taste. But it's an effective way to kill two birds with one stone. Decreasing th salt in your diet and, at the same time, increasing the potassium.
7) Exercise. This is one of the most natural cures for high blood pressure you can imagine. Little kids, without prompting, do it all the time. Studies have shown that moderate exercise can help to control and limit the buildup of plaque in the arteries. Sedentary life styles tend to elevate blood pressure levels while active lifestyles tend to decrease blood pressure levels.
There are many other natural things you can do to control your blood pressure - the suggestions here should be only a start. High blood pressure is not a natural occurrence in most people. You can greatly control it by controlling your everyday actions.